Featured Video from Scott Reichel
The surprising Detroit Tigers host the Pittsburgh Pirates Tuesday in interleague play. It is the first of a short, two-game series. The Tigers have been a surprise this year, going 8-7 on the year. The Pirates are 8-6. Joe Musgrave (1-1) is getting the start for Pittsburgh while Matthew Boyd (1-1) gets the ball for Detroit. Game time is 6:40 p.m. ET at Comerica Park.
Pirates take 2 of 3 from Nats
The Pittsburgh Pirates are 8-6 on the year, just a game behind first-place Milwaukee in the NL Central. They are coming off a 4-3 win over the Nationals in Washington, taking 2 of 3 in the series. Reliever Felipe Vázquez got out of a jam by getting Anthony Rendon to pop up to end the game with the bases loaded. “He’s a good hitter right now, and he’s been hitting the ball everywhere. For me, that’s a challenge. I take every hitter like him as a challenge,” Vazquez said. Vazquez pitched 2 innings in relief to get the win. Jameson Taillon started and gave up 3 runs in 6 innings. Josh Bell went 2 for 3 with 2 RBIs, while Colin Moran went 2 for 4 with an RBI. Jason Martin also had a hit and an RBI.
Way to go Buccos!! https://t.co/JmNm0XXQW6
— HeinzLofts (@Heinz_Lofts) April 14, 2019
The Pirates average 3.64 runs per game, which is 24th in the MLB. They hit just .241 as a team, which is 16th in the league, and they have a slugging percentage of .381, which is 22nd. The Pirates have a team ERA of 2.69, which is 2nd in the MLB. They have a team WHIP of 1.05, which is 3rd in the league. Melky Cabrera leads the Pirates with an average of .390 with 1 HR and 4 RBIs. He is 4th in the NL and 8th in the majors in batting. Josh Bell is hitting .314 with 3 HRs and 12 RBIs, while Colin Moran is batting .308 with 2 HRs and 8 RBIs. Adam Frazier is hitting .296.
Joe Musgrave gets the start for Pittsburgh. The right-hander is 1-1 on the year with an ERA of 0.00. He has yet to give up an earned run in 2 starts and 15.1 innings pitched. Musgrave has a WHIP of 0.65 and opposing teams are batting just .137 against him.
Tigers lose 3rd straight
The Detroit Tigers were one of the worst teams in baseball last year at 68-94, which is why their 8-4 start in 2019 was so surprising. But now the Tigers have lost three straight to fall to 8-7. They were swept in a rain-shortened weekend series by the Minnesota Twins, who beat the Tigers 6-4 on Sunday. Starter Jordan Zimmerman (0-2) gave up 5 runs on 8 hits in just 3 innings to take the loss. Gordon Beckham went 1 for 4 with a home run and 2 RBIs for Detroit. Christin Stewart went 1 for 3 with an RBI. Grayson Greiner had a hit and an RBI while Jeimer Candelario had 2 hits.
The Tigers average 2.67 runs per game, which is 30th in the MLB. They hit just .201 as a team, which is 27th in the league, and they have a slugging percentage of .312, which is 29th. The Tigers have a team ERA of 2.98, which is 4th in the MLB. They have a team WHIP of 1.15, which is 5th in the league. Niko Goodrum leads the Tigers with an average of .293 with 1 HR and 6 RBIs. Miguel Cabrera is hitting .269 while Nick Castellanos is hitting .255. Christin Stewart leads the team with 3 HRs and 12 RBIs.
Matthew Boyd gets the start for the Tigers. The left-hander is 1-1 on the year with an ERA of 2.60. Boyd has a WHIP of 1.15 and opposing teams are batting just .215 against him.
- Tigers are 2-9 in Boyds last 11 Tuesday starts.
- Tigers are 1-4 in their last 5 overall.
- Tigers are 1-4 in their last 5 games on grass.
- Tigers are 1-4 in their last 5 games vs. a right-handed starter.
- Tigers are 0-4 in their last 4 vs. National League Central.
- Tigers are 0-4 in their last 4 interleague games.
- Tigers are 0-4 in their last 4 interleague games vs. a team with a winning record
- Pirates are 4-1 in Musgroves last 5 starts with 4 days of rest.
- Pirates are 5-1 in their last 6 interleague games vs. a team with a winning record.
- Pirates are 7-2 in their last 9 road games vs. a team with a winning record.
- Pirates are 6-2 in their last 8 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600.
- Pirates are 23-8 in their last 31 interleague games.
- Pirates are 21-8 in their last 29 interleague games vs. a left-handed starter.
- Pirates are 5-2 in their last 7 vs. a team with a winning record.
- Pirates are 7-3 in their last 10 interleague road games.
- Pirates are 7-3 in their last 10 overall.
- Pirates are 7-3 in their last 10 games on grass.
The Bottom Line What to bet on this game.
Full-Game Side Bet
I like the Pirates in this match up. Musgrave has been lights out this year, allowing 0 earned runs in 2 starts. The Tigers are one of the worst hitting teams in the league, hitting just .201 as a team. The Pirates are 4-0 in the last 4 meetings in Detroit and 6-1 in the last 7 meetings against Detroit.
Prediction: Pirates -118
Full-Game Total Pick
Take the under. This is a good pitchers match up between Musgrave and Boyd. Both have been excellent this year, as have the respective bullpens of both teams. Don’t expect a lot runs. The under is 6-2 in Musgroves last 8 starts following a Quality Start in his last appearance and 4-1 in the Pirates last 5 road games. Also, the under is 7-1-1 in Boyds last 9 Tuesday starts and 4-1 in his last 5 home starts vs. a team with a winning record.