Featured Video from Scott Reichel
Legion Field, in Birmingham, Alabama, is the site for a Conference USA matchup between the Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles and the UAB Blazers. The Golden Eagles are coming off a 26-24 win over Marshall and the Blazers have won seven straight including a 53-3 thrashing of the UTSA Thrashers. Kick-off is set for 7:30 pm eastern.
Tate Whatley and the Defense Rise Up to Defeat Marshall
The Golden Eagles earned just 222 total yards but it was enough to get past Marshall last week. Freshman quarterback Tate Whatley threw for 134 yards and a touchdown and ran for another to lead his team to victory. Senior linebacker Darian Yancey scored on a 17-yard fumble recovery and Senior kicker Parker Shaunfield knocked down both of his field goal attempts including a 40 yarder. Southern Miss converted just three of their seventeen third downs and were penalized ten times for 90 yards.
— Southern Miss FB (@SouthernMissFB) November 5, 2018
The Golden Eagles offense has sputtered at times this season. They average 402 total yards per game; 286 passing yards and 116 rushing yards account for most of their 25.6 points per game. Southern Miss converts 33 percent of their third downs, 46 percent of fourth downs and score on 80 percent of their Red Zone possessions. Southern Miss quarterbacks have thrown 12 interceptions and have been sacked 20 times this season.
UAB has the Best Defense in NCAA College Football
Freshman quarterback Tyler Johnston threw for 249 yards, three touchdowns and an interception, Sophomore running back Spencer Brown rushed for 147 yards and a touchdown and UAB absolutely smashed UTSA 52-3. Johnston also rushed for a touchdown, Senior wide receiver Xavier Ubosi hauled in three passes for 71 yards and two touchdowns and just for good measure, Junior kicker Nick Vogel booted a 51 yard field goal. It was a BIG day for UAB giving them seven straight wins and a real shot at winning the Conference USA title.
— ChristinaWBRC (@ChristinaWBRC) November 6, 2018
The UAB defense has been fantastic this season. The defense allows 272 yards per game on 154 passing yards and 117 rushing yards. That amounts to allowing just 12 points per game. Teams convert 32 percent of their third downs, 21 percent of their fourth downs and allow teams to score on 69 percent of their trips to Red Zone. The UAB defense recovered one fumble for a touchdown, one pick-six, six interceptions and 31 sacks this season.
- Blazers are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 games following a straight up win.
- Blazers are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 games following an ATS win.
- Blazers are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games after allowing less than 100 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Blazers are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 games after accumulating more than 200 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Blazers are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games after allowing less than 275 total yards in their previous game.
- Blazers are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games after allowing less than 20 points in their previous game.
- Blazers are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games after allowing less than 170 yards passing in their previous game.
- Blazers are 5-1-1 ATS in their last 7 games in November.
- Blazers are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games after scoring more than 40 points in their previous game.
- Golden Eagles are 5-12 ATS in their last 17 games after accumulating less than 170 yards passing in their previous game.
- Golden Eagles are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 road games.
- Golden Eagles are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games after allowing less than 100 yards rushing in their previous game.
The Bottom Line What to bet on this game.
Full-Game Side Bet
UAB has the best defense in NCAA College football and it’s going to take a LOT more than what Southern Miss brings to the table to change that. The thing is, Southern Miss also has a pretty good defense but I don’t see them being able to hang with UAB. Heck, the UAB defense might beat the spread on their own! As much as I would LOVE to see Southern Miss cover this spread, the realist in me takes one look at this UAB defense, walks to the counter, and makes a BIG bet on UAB covering the spread on Saturday evening.
Prediction: UAB -12
Full-Game Total Pick
This game features two pretty good defenses. Okay, one GREAT defense and one pretty good one. When I envision what this game has to offer, tons of scoring isn’t on the list and that’s because of these defenses. I think UAB and their offense is a shade or two better than Southern and I see UAB scoring between 24-28 points. I see Southern Miss maybe scoring 10 points maximum. I must play the under Saturday night!!
Prediction: Under 44 Points