Baylor Bears (0-2) at Duke Blue Devils (2-0)
When and Where: Saturday, September 16 at 12:30 p.m. ET
Line: Duke -14
Baylor has little experience, and it showed during its first two games, dropping both games to lowly teams. Duke, however, beat North Carolina Central and Northwestern.
The Bears shockingly are 0-2 on the season. The once exciting team has lost to lowly Liberty and UT San Antonio, prompting head coach Matt Rhule to go with a new starter moving forward. Rhule said the reason for the change was transfer Anu Solomon was banged up following the UT San Antonio game. Zach Smith will be the guy for the Bears. Baylor’s offense put up 45 points against Liberty, which doesn’t mean much since its an inferior opponent, but at least the Bears showcased their rushing attack in the defeat.
The Bears defense struggled to contain Liberty. It was a miserable performance as Liberty threw for over 440 yards. Baylor could be in for a long afternoon against Duke if the defense doesn’t vastly improve. It’s a young unit that settle down against UT San Antonio over the weekend.
Duke has a terrific opportunity as it hosts Baylor to stay undefeated on the season. Duke handled Northwestern over the weekend relatively easily, winning 41-17. Daniel Jones have truly remarkable, and he must be excited to face a poor Baylor defense. Jones has thrown for 518 yards and four touchdowns to one interception on the season. He’s the key to Duke’s offensive success.
The Blue Devils defense has flashed some solid moments two game into the season, allowing only 12 points per game. The Blue Devils picked off Northwestern twice and also forced and recovered a fumble. Look for Duke to get after Baylor and its newly named starting quarterback Saturday afternoon.
- Bears are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games after allowing more than 200 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Bears are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games after accumulating less than 170 yards passing in their previous game.
- Bears are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games after allowing less than 20 points in their previous game.
- Bears are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games following an ATS loss.
- Blue Devils are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 home games.
- Blue Devils are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games after accumulating more than 450 total yards in their previous game.
- Blue Devils are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games following an ATS win.
- Blue Devils are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games after allowing less than 20 points in their previous game.
The Blue Devils have a terrific chance at home to continue his hot start to the season. Jones threw four touchdowns against Northwestern, so the Blue Devils hope he continues his successful season. Baylor has the right idea building with Rhule as a coach, but it might take some time.